Checking the course of diagnosis and treatment
What is a “Second Opinion”?
In medicine, the service of the "second opinion" is the opinion of the specialists on the optimal method of diagnosis, course of treatment, disease management, which the patient applies on the recommendation of a doctor or independently - at will.
When the “Second Opinion” is addressed?
A patient can apply a “Second Opinion” if:
- He / She is unsure of the correctness of the course of diagnosis and treatment;
- He / She wants to verify the existing diagnosis;
- He / She wants to make sure that he/she does receive adequate medical care;
- The prescribed course of treatment is helpless, etc.
What should you consider about "second opinion"?
- All patients have the right to receive comprehensive information in a way that is understandable to them and to request a “second opinion” about their health.
- In any case, the "second opinion" does not necessarily mean that you do not trust the treating physician - knowing the opinion of another doctor is a completely normal and accepted practice.
- Often the patient feels awkward and does not know how to tell the treating physician that he wants to verify the information and needs to consult another doctor. Remember that this is your legal right and choice, for which many explanations are not necessary.
What to consider if you need to use the "second opinion":
- Only contact an organization that collaborates with leading global medical institutions and doctors.
- Accompany all medical records for consultation (Form No. 100, X-ray studies, blood test results, information on prescribed medications, etc.);
- Discuss with a specialist the real motive for consultation, that is, why you need a “second opinion”, what is the real reason for a “second opinion”.
A) You must provide documentation in English or in the language of the country which you want to receive the service from.
B) If you use private insurance, you can check with your personal insurance manager to find out if your package provides Second Opinion.